If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (717) 261-0310

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Kerosene Fire Cleanup

12/21/2017 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Kerosene Fire Cleanup Kitchen Cabinets covered it soot from Kerosene fire.

This Greencastle mobile home was used as a show home for potential buyers. When a Kerosene heater was left unattended and malfunctioned causing soot to go threw out the home. SERVPRO of Chambersburg cleaned the surfaces and got the walls ready for paint. It's important in a smoke/soot lose for the surfaces to be cleaned prior to painting so the paint will stick to the walls and cover the staining remaining. 

If your home has a smoke/soot issue, call SERVPRO of Chambersburg today at 717-261-0310. Don't attempt to clean anything as it could make it an irreversible event. 

After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:

  • Is it safe to stay in the house?
  • Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
  • Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
  • Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!

Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (717) 261-0310

What To Do After A Fire

  • Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
  • Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
  • Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
  • If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
  • Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
  • Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
  • Change HVAC filter.
  • Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.

What NOT To Do After A Fire

  • Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
  • Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
  • Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
  • Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
  • Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor

Other News

View Recent Posts