Mold prevention tips for your chambersburg home.
It can be extremely costly and hazardous to your health, if it’s growing in your home. We want to share some information with you on how to prevent mold growth in your home. Mold can grow anywhere, with that being said there is no way to completely remove mold. Once mold spores have been disturbed, they travel through the air contaminating other areas. Do not worry, we are here to help should you discover a mold problem. We have a mold specialist on staff to address your mold issues and determine a remediation plan that works the best for you. Here are some tips to help prevent mold in your home:
- Identify and fix any problem areas in your home. You can’t mold proof your home, you can make it resistant though. Anywhere moisture is present, mold can grow. If you notice any condensation, water staining on your walls or ceilings, or leaky pipes you need to get it fixed as fast as possible. Sometimes there is moisture or water in areas that you are unaware of, mold can spread very quickly in these conditions.
- Dry any wet areas immediately. If your carpet is wet, make sure your carpet is thoroughly dried. Mold can develop quickly on your carpet and padding and will need to be removed if this happens.
- Prevent as much moisture as possible by using proper ventilation. Your kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room are high moisture areas. Make sure to vent your appliances that can cause moisture. Use dehumidifiers as needed.
- Equip your home with mold resistant products. There are now drywall and paint products that are manufactured with mold inhibitors.
- Inspect your gutters. Clean them out regularly and repair them if need be.
- “Bleaching” mold is not an effective way to get rid of mold, it does just that “bleaches” it. To effectively get rid of mold and mold growth you must use an antimicrobial.
- Having a vapor barrier in your crawl space will prevent moisture and keep mold growth to a slight minimum. If a little mold growth does occur the vapor barrier will also protect your family from the harmful fumes that come from mold.